Galliprant vs Gabapentin
Jason Jones, MBA - November 16nd 2021
Names alone would have a person thinking Galliprant and Gabapentin are associated on some medical level.
However, they are different in what they do in the body.
Join us as we examine Galliprant vs. Gabapentin, their differing effects, what they do in combination, and some natural alternatives.
Table Of Contents
- What is the difference between Galliprant and Gabapentin?
- Which is better between Gabapentin and Galliprant to treat arthritis pain for dogs?
- Gabapentin and Galliprant together for dogs
- Gabapentin vs. Galliprant Usage Chart
- Gabapentin vs Galliprant Side Effects
- Gabapentin and Galliprant Alternatives
What is the difference between Galliprant and Gabapentin?
Galliprant is a prescription medication referred to as an NSAID (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). It targets the EP4 receptor, which is the cause of canine osteoarthritis pain and inflammation.
NSAIDs you may be familiar with are Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen; they are generally considered pain relievers.
Galliprant can be used alone post-surgery for pain relief, while Gabapentin needs to be used with other pain medications like NSAIDs and opioids to relieve pain.
Gabapentin is a prescription medication referred to as a gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) analog. GABA reduces the volatility of nerve cells (neurons) in the brain, which plays a role in seizures and the transmission of pain signals. Familiar GABAs include Lyrica, Neurontin, Horizant, and Gralise.
Gabapentin is also known as an anticonvulsant drug, also referred to as an anti-elliptic drug. In some cases, Gabapentin is used to manage acute postoperative pain and sedation for dogs post-surgery.
H2: Which is better at treating arthritis pain for dogs?
Galliprant targets the pain receptors associated with arthritis, while Gabapentin is used for neuropathic pain that does not respond to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or opiates.
Galliprant does not inhibit homeostatic functions and allows for cell growth and the body's healing processes. The Department of Biomedical and Biotechnological Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Catania, wrote Gabapentin might be beneficial within the treatment of inflammatory situations associated with ocular pain, including uveitis.
Further studies need to be done on Gabapentin's effects on arthritis pain and homeostatic functions of the healing process.
Gabapentin and Galliprant together for dogs
It is safe to give both medications at once. Galliprant is an anti-inflammatory medication for arthritis in dogs, safe and well-received.
Gabapentin is an anti-seizure medication, but when used in low doses, it helps relieve pain.
Veterinarians often use Gabapentin combined with Galliprant to provide even better pain control from arthritis.
This union of medications is called Multimodal pain relief and is a common practice in veterinary medicine.
Gabapentin vs. Galliprant Usage Chart
|Medical Usage||Anxiety||Controls Symptoms of Osteoarthritis||Fever||Inflammation||Pain||Post-Surgery||Seizures||Long-Term Use|
Gabapentin vs Galliprant Side Effects
|Side Effect||Loss of Appetite||Diarrhea||Lethargy||Possible Stool Changes||Vomiting||Wobbliness|
Gabapentin and Galliprant Alternatives
- CBD Oil for Dogs - CBD oil for dogs with arthritis may be an alternative to both medications, but further research is needed to know for sure. A study from the University of Białystok, stated that research has increased our understanding of CBD's medicinal potential for various disorders, particularly those linked to oxidative stress.
Conditions related to oxidative stress include asthma, chronic fatigue, and chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation due to oxidative stress potentially leads to several issues, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and arthritis.
Relievet's CBD oils for dogs are 100% natural, third-party lab tested, and contain naturally retained terpenes and fatty acids, which are proven supplements for a dog. Our customer testimonials give intriguing insight into the power of CBD oil.
- Companion Therapy Laser – Laser therapy is an alternative to Galliprant used to stimulate cell healing.
- Supplementing – Supplements offer another alternative to Galliprant. Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fatty acids with health and disease-related effects. They may reduce and alter the autoimmune inflammatory response by acting as precursors to lipid mediators of inflammation.
In conclusion, both Gabapentin and Galliprant have a positive impact on healing. In osteoarthritis (OA), Galliprant may be the better option because you can take it longer, and OA is a lifelong ailment. There is no cure for OA, but you can protect your dog with the right plan.
You should always consult your veterinarian before changing medication or adding new supplements to your dog's diet.
If you've ever looked at a CBD product, you've probably heard of the entourage effect. It's the idea that several different cannabis compounds combine to achieve an impact that they can not achieve on their own.