Hyaluronic Acid for Dogs
Jason Jones, MBA - October 26th 2021
The doorbell rings. The dog looks at you, and you look at the dog. You both slowly creep out of your comfortable position to answer the knock. As you move forward, you realize a symphony of cracking is coming from the dog's joints and yours.
It could be time for both of you to consider supplementing with Hyaluronic Acid.
This blog considers Hyaluronic Acid, what it is, how it works, administration, dosages, side effects, safety, and where to buy Hyaluronic Acid for dogs.
Table Of Contents
- What is Hyaluronic Acid?
- How does it work?
- How does a dog take Hyaluronic Acid?
- Hyaluronic Acid Dosage for Dogs
- Side effects of Hyaluronic Acid in dogs
- Is it safe for dogs?
- Where to buy Hyaluronic Acid for Dogs
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
How does it work?
- Lubrication – The sticky fluid provides great lubrication for the hip and joints.
- Shock Absorption – The fluid acts as a shock absorber and reduces potential inflammation.
How does a dog take Hyaluronic Acid?
Dogs can take Hyaluronic Acid two ways:
- Injectable - The Canine Arthritis Resources and Education Center stated the maximum benefits from injecting Hyaluronic Acid can be achieved in four to eight weeks and ease up in six months. Injection offers the greatest benefit, but the dog must be under anesthesia, which presents risk factors.
- Oral – Oral options are available for supplementing Hyaluronic Acid. One study by the Nutrition Journal found that oral daily supplements of HA can improve quality of life because the HA treatments were significantly better than the placebo (saline). Later in the blog, we break down simple ways to get HA in your pet's diet, like our Hip and Joint Mobility CBD Soft Chews.
Hyaluronic Acid Dosage for Dogs
Here is a table displaying body weight and daily dosage of Hyaluronic Acid for dogs.
|Body Weight||mg (Milligrams)|
|1-10 lbs. | 0.5 kg||7.5 mg daily|
|11–20 lbs. | 5-9.1 kg||15 mg daily|
|21–40 lbs. | 9.5-18.2 kg||30 mg daily|
|41– 75 lbs. | 18.6-34.1 kg||45 mg daily|
|76–100 lbs.| 34.5-45.5 kg||60 mg daily|
Side effects of Hyaluronic Acid in dogs
While these side effects are uncommon, they are a possibility and need to be acknowledged.
- Kidney Issues
- Loss of Appetite
Is it safe for dogs?
There are few studies regarding the potential side effects of Hyaluronic Acid in dogs. Injected HA may leave local aches, itchiness, redness, and swelling. However, it is generally understood HA is good for dogs, especially of an older age. The International Journal of Toxicity wrote the widespread use of HA by injection has been free of unusual reactions.
Where to buy Hyaluronic Acid for Dogs
Hyaluronic Acid is available in supplements, injections, topicals, and certain foods. Food that contains HA are:
- Bone Broth – Bones are cooked down for 24 hours extracting all the nutrients out, including HA.
- Sweet Potatoes – Most starchy vegetables supply the body with magnesium enabling the body to produce Hyaluronic Acid effectively.
- Chew Supplements – Our CBD chews for dogs with joint pain have 5 mg of Hyaluronic Acid per chew. The combination of CBD and Hyaluronic Acid may be just what your dog needs.
The Departments of Pharmacology and Anesthesia of the University of Halifax did a study that showed for the first time that local CBD administration lessened pain and peripheral sensitization in deep-rooted Osteoarthritis in dogs.
Hip and joint pain go hand in hand with Hyaluronic Acid levels lowering with advancing age, and CBD oil for dogs may offer mobility support. Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University clinical study suggests that 2 mg/kg of CBD twice per day can increase comfort and activity in dogs with Osteoarthritis. Our CBD oil for dogs for dogs with Arthritis, contains this exact dose.
While these natural options might be good for getting some Hyaluronic Acid in your dog, be sure to always go to your vet for advice on supplements.
What is the Best CBD Oil For Dogs With Arthritis?
Finding the best CBD oil for dogs with arthritis could dramatically change your dogs' life and yours. Making the correct choice could help your dog avoid a lifetime of pharmaceutical drugs and the side effects that come with them.
Fortunately, there is research on CBD for dogs. This article breaks it down and draws from our decades of experience to help you find the best CBD for dogs with arthritis.