Table of Contents
Puppies teeth during the normal, healthy process of tooth eruption. As their new teeth work their way through the gums, teething and gnawing activities help relieve the discomfort and pain associated with the eruption process.
Puppies have two sets of teeth the come in, just like humans. The first set, called “milk teeth” or “baby teeth” or “puppy teeth” come in around 2 weeks of age, and finish erupting around 8-10 weeks of age. There will be 28 teeth in all.
Around 3 to 4 months of age, these 28 baby teeth will be replaced by 42 adult teeth.
What Causes Pain During Teething?
The pain and discomfort associated with teething is from the teeth cutting their way through the tissue of the gums. This process causes inflammation and pain as the tissue separates to allow the tooth through. It’s not uncommon for puppies to gnaw and teethe on objects to the point of minor bleeding as they try to relieve the discomfort. Any serious bleeding should be reported to a veterinarian immediately.
How Do I Know If My Puppy is Teething?
- Your puppy will be in the correct age range (from 2 weeks old to 8-10 weeks old).
- Your puppy will start to gnaw and chew on objects around the house — ideally healthy teething toys!
- You will start to see small, needle-like teeth erupting from your puppy’s gums. Careful, they can be quite sharp and puppies aren’t born knowing the difference between gentle play and nipping too hard!
What Can I Do To Relieve My Teething Puppy’s Pain?
Pain from teething can be relieved in a few healthy ways:
- Proper teething chew toys. These need to be purchased with the dog’s age in mind. Too big and they can’t fit in your pup’s mouth, too small and they can be a choking hazard.
- Make a numbing chew toy by taking an old dish rag, soaking it in water or sodium free broth (chicken or beef are fine), and freezing it overnight. The cold will help numb your pup’s gums and the broth makes the chew toy a treat!
- CBD may help relieve your puppy’s pain and inflammation, as well as helping them relax.
Does CBD Work For Puppy Teething?
CBD may help your dog by decreasing inflammation and relieving discomfort. It works by blocking the inflammatory process and modulating parts of your dog’s brain responsible for mediating pain, making it more tolerable.
We recommend that you discuss using CBD with your veterinarian.
What CBD Is Best for Teething Puppies?
If you decide to use CBD with your pup, we recommend the use of an oil with the following characteristics:
- Broad-Spectrum, THC-Free. THC is present in full-spectrum extracts and can cause panic attacks and other unwanted side effects in dogs. Broad-spectrum CBD extracts have CBD ando other components, but no THC.
- Certified USDA Organic. This lets you know that the CBD product you’re getting comes from a facility that has been inspected and certified to adhere to the highest standards in manufacturing and sourcing. No pesticides, no synthetic chemicals.
- FDA-Registered Facility. When a company registers with the FDA, they voluntarily open themselves to the FDA’s oversight, ensuring that they’re above-board and transparent with their manufacturing and sourcing.
- Certificates of Analysis. Always buy CBD oil from a company that provides a Certificate of Analysis, or CoA, from a reputable third-party lab. These analyses will show the presence and potency of the ingredients that are supposed to be in the oil (CBD), and the absence of harmful ingredients like heavy metals, toxins, and pesticides.
- MCT Carrier Oil: MCT is superior to other choices like hemp or sunflower oil. It’s the part of coconut oil that stays liquid at room temperature. It is virtually tasteless, liked by most dogs, helps carry CBD into your dog’s bloodstream through the tissue in their mouth, and is shelf-stable. It is also a healthy source of nutrition and has been studied to treat seizures in dogs.
- Weight-Based Dosing: Especially with puppies, it’s important to get the dose right. Choose a product with science-backed, weight-based dosing — 1-2mg/kg.
Relievet CBD oil meets all the above criteria. We have a research-backed formulation that meets the industry’s highest standards and certifications, provide a CoA for every lot of extract we use, and make USDA certified organic oils in an FDA-registered facility!
How Should I Give My Puppy CBD?
We recommend placing the oil directly under your puppy’s tongue. This allows the maximum dose to be absorbed — some of it directly through the tissue in your pup’s mouth and the rest through their digestive tract after they swallow the dose.
Sometimes puppies don’t want us sticking droppers in their mouth, and we understand that! In that case, the CBD drops can be placed directly on your puppy’s food, or in this special case the CBD oil can be worked into peanut butter put into their chew toy, or rubbed directly on a surface they’re gnawing on. This will apply the CBD oil directly to their gums, allowing it to work locally as well as get into their system.
Teething is a normal process for puppies that can be uncomfortable and painful. It is important to redirect teething to healthy toys and provide relief through numbing chew toys or CBD oil. CBD may help relieve pain and inflammation during teething, but it is important to use a broad-spectrum, THC-free, certified organic, and FDA-registered CBD oil with a weight-based dosing system. Relievet CBD oil meets all of these criteria and can be administered directly under your puppy’s tongue, on their food, or rubbed directly on a surface they’re gnawing on. Proper care and attention during the teething process can help ensure a happy and healthy puppy.