- USA Grown
- Organically Cultivated
- Fully Lab Tested
- CO2 Extracted
- Guaranteed No THC
- Refined at low temperature to retain cannabinoids (Liquid Chromatography)
- Coconut Derived
- Human Grade
- CBD For Cats With Anxiety and Aggression: Mungo's Story
- What is CBD Oil For Cats?
- Hemp Oil vs. CBD Oil For Cats
- Is This Weed For Cats?
- How Does It Work?
- Is CBD Safe For Cats?
- Are There Any Side Effects?
- How much CBD Oil Should I Give My Cat?
- Will My Cat Like The Taste?
- 7 Things To Watch Out For When Buying CBD Oil For Cats
- Benefits Of CBD Hemp Oil For Cats
- Choosing The Best CBD Oil For your Cat
CBD For Cats With Anxiety and Aggression: Mungo's Story
Relievet is a family-owned business, and if you haven't already guessed it, we love animals. We live with 5 of them, including our two cats Gremlin and Mungo.
We adopted these girls as kittens from the San Diego Humane Society about two years ago, at which time the staff explained to us that they were left abandoned in an alley.
When we first got them home, they were very skinny and scared of everything.
We figured with love and proper care that they would grow out of this, and for Gremlin, this was true. She has grown into the friendliest cat we've met, she continually looks for attention and sits on our laps at every opportunity.
Unfortunately, despite a loving and safe environment, Mungo remained anxious and sometimes aggressive towards our other pets.
Monica, a co-founder at Relievet, is a Registered Veterinary Technician who has worked with small animals for over a decade, so we were aware of the prescription medications available to treat anxiety in cats.
By this point, we had already been giving CBD to our dog Biscuit for her arthritis, with excellent results.
We had also found research showing CBD was able to help people with social anxiety disorder (SAD). For these reasons, we decided to try the natural route.
We give Mungo 1/3rd of a dropper of our 150mg CBD oil for Cats twice a day, which is right in the middle of our recommended dosage range for her weight.
The change in her behavior was clear; she was sitting on our laps every night, something which she rarely did before. A week went by with no aggressive incidents towards our other dogs and cats; we were starting to feel relieved.
In the following year, we only had a couple of incidents of aggression; we used to have a couple a day.
It was this experience that inspired us to make natural CBD products to help other families with Cats.
What is CBD Oil For Cats?
CBD (cannabidiol) is the most abundant compound in the hemp plant, which is marijuana’s non-intoxicating cousin.
You may have heard that CBD oil can help fight cancer, support reduced anxiety, or provide relief for cats suffering from joint pain, but is there any truth to all of these supposed health benefits?
The effects of CBD on humans have been the subject of a fair amount of research since the 2018 farm bill legalized the cultivation of industrial hemp. Unfortunately, none of these studies have directly focused on CBD for Cats.
However, Cats, Dogs, and all mammals all have an endocannabinoid system that works with the various cannabinoids in hemp to keep bodily functions in check; this means that CBD oil can be just as effective for your cat as it is for you.
Hemp Oil vs. CBD Oil For Cats
CBD as an industry is still in the early phases, and there is a lot of confusion surrounding hemp oil vs. CBD oil for cats.
You can buy oil for cats on amazon marketed as containing 30,000mg of hemp for $20 a bottle, yet we sell 150mg of CBD hemp oil for $29.95.
Both of these products come from the hemp plant, so they should both be effective, right?
Not exactly; what matters is what part of the hemp plant they are made with:
- Hemp CBD Oil – This is what you will find in Relievet products: it comes from the flowers of the hemp plant, which contain 12 – 18% CBD and many other beneficial cannabinoids. To be legal it has to contain less than 0.3% THC, so it won't get your cat high
- Hemp Seed Oil – This is what you will find on amazon, its actually against their terms of service to sell CBD products. It comes from the seeds of the hemp plant, and though it is rich in vitamins and minerals, it contains almost no CBD or other beneficial cannabinoids.
Is This Weed For Cats?
No, CBD is not weed for cats, and it won't get your cat high. Weed comes from the flowers of the marijuana plant; our CBD oils for cats come from the flowers of the hemp plant.
The most important difference is the amounts of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD) in these two plants.
- Hemp CBD – Hemp plants are a variety of the Cannabis Sativa species, and they have very high concentrations of CBD while containing less than 0.3% THC. This lack of THC means that hemp-derived CBD oils are non-intoxicating yet can provide all the potential health benefits of CBD and other cannabinoids.
- Marijuana (weed) - Marijuana comes from the flowers of either the Cannabis Indica or Cannabis Sativa species. These flowers can contain north of 30% THC, which can give you a powerful high when ingested, smoked, or vaped.
We don’t recommend that you give your Cat weed, though it has many potential health benefits for humans, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says that it can cause serious health problems and even death in Cats.
How Does It Work?
To understand how CBD works for your Cat, you first have to understand the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
The ECS is still largely a mystery, but researchers think that it helps keep the body in balance. So far it has been linked to many bodily functions, including:
- Liver Function
- The Reproductive System
- The Cardiovascular System
Cats, humans, and all mammals naturally produce endocannabinoids; these molecules are similar to the cannabinoids CBD and THC.
Research has found that THC binds with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the same way that the body’s naturally occurring endocannabinoids do; this can have a wide range of effects ranging anywhere from a high feeling to increased hunger.
CBD acts a little differently; It doesn’t bind with the same receptors as THC. It may stop your body’s endocannabinoids from breaking down, which would explain the fact that it is non-intoxicating while still able to influence bodily functions like pain, anxiety, and inflammation.
Research, while still in its early phases, has shown that the ECS plays a major role in keeping bodily functions balanced and healthy.
The Entourage Effect
Recent research has shown that CBD is more effective when accompanied by the other naturally occurring cannabinoids in hemp; this is called the entourage effect.
Broad-spectrum products like Relievet CBD Oil for Cats are made with care to retain as many of the naturally occurring cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids as possible.
Is CBD Safe For Cats?
There are not currently any deaths or serious injuries associated with CBD for Cats, and many veterinarians consider it to be safe.
However, there are no studies focused on the safety of CBD oil for cats, so until there is further research, we cannot say for sure.
We do know that THC can cause toxicity in cats; in rare cases, it can even lead to death.
Your cat is not likely to get sick from CBD products made from hemp, as they legally contain less than 0.3% THC. It most often occurs when a cat eats marijuana edibles or flowers, which contain up to 30% THC.
When choosing a safe CBD product for your Cat, make sure the company displays lab results showing the cannabinoid content of their products and also to show that they don’t contain any unwanted pesticides, microbial bacteria, or heavy metals.
Are There Any Side Effects?
The side effects of CBD oil for Cats are generally considered to be minor and should subside if you stop giving the product to your Cat. They include:
- Gastrointestinal Upset (Digestive Issues)
To reduce the risk of side effects, we recommend that you start your cat on the lower end of our recommended dosage range and increase gradually.
How much CBD Oil Should I Give My Cat?
Deciding how much CBD Oil to give your cat doesn’t have to be complicated.
All you have to do is pick a bottle based on your cat’s weight, and when it arrives, you will see our dosage recommendations for your cat's weight.
If your cat is suffering from anxiety, we recommend that you start at the lower end of our dosage recommendation, as studies have shown that CBD can support reduced anxiety in animals at a low dose.
For chronic pain and seizures, studies have shown positive results at a higher dose; in these cases, we suggest that you start towards the upper end of our recommendation.
We provide a 1ml plastic dropper in each bottle, and it has 0.25ml embossed graduations. We do this for a couple of reasons, primarily so that you can safely get CBD oil under your cat's tongue, where it will be best absorbed.
The reason we don’t use ink markings is that the ink tends to come off of the plastic and end up in the CBD oil.
Will My Cat Like The Taste?
Anyone who has a cat will know that they can be very picky eaters. When developing our CBD products, we tried full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD isolate products.
What we learned was that Full and broad-spectrum products are more effective than isolate, but full-spectrum can be quite strong in taste and odor.
While some dogs will tolerate the strong taste of full-spectrum CBD oil, we found that cats are far pickier.
Cats usually like the taste of our broad-spectrum CBD oil, but in some cases, you may have to entice them with a piece of ham or by dropping the oil in their food.
If all else fails, you can resort to a CBD isolate product; this will be odorless and tasteless unless it has added flavors. You will need to use more, and may still not be able to achieve the same results.
7 Things To Watch Out For When Buying CBD Oil For Cats
The CBD industry is largely unregulated, and there are many inferior products for sale. As a consumer, there are some things you should always look for when purchasing CBD oil for your Cat:
- Lab Testing – An honest company will have lab results to show you exactly what cannabinoids are, or aren’t, in their products.
- 100% Natural – There's no reason to add anything that isn’t 100% natural to CBD oil for your Cat; watch out for artificial flavors.
- Hemp-Derived – CBD product must be hemp-derived to be legal for sale in the US.
- Broad or Full Spectrum – Recent research has shown that broad or full-spectrum products are more effective than CBD isolate (or pure CBD) products. Broad-spectrum products like ours contain no THC.
- It Contains No Pesticides, Microbial Bacteria, Or Heavy Metals – Lab results should show you that your cat's product is free of any unwanted and potentially harmful pesticides, heavy metals, or microbial bacteria.
- Non-GMO – I'm sure you try to avoid genetically modified products for yourself, we believe that your cat deserves the same level of care.
- Organically Cultivated – Non-organic crops are often grown with potentially harmful pesticides and unnatural fertilizers, go organic whenever possible.
Benefits Of CBD Hemp Oil For Cats
CBD has exploded in popularity in recent years as a natural relief for many ailments, but scientific research is still in the early stages.
The internet is full of positive stories and reviews claiming that CBD might be able to help cats with a variety of ailments.
Without any direct research on the effects of CBD oil on cats, we have to look to studies on humans and other animals to better understand its potential.
Choosing The Best CBD Oil For your Cat
The best advice we can give you is that you should always ask for your veterinarian's opinion. More and more vets are recommending CBD oil for cats in place of, or supporting, other medications.
It is not a cure-all or a magic elixir, but if dosed correctly, it can be a great natural way to handle many of your cat's ailments.
Relievet is family-owned, and we care about our customers. Contact us within 30 days of purchase if you are not satisfied with the product and we will refund you.
Our goal is to ship all orders within 24 hours of payment. USA Order shipping times vary between one and three days based on location (we are based in southern CA).